Gage Animal Hospital (GAH), one of the oldest continuously operating veterinary hospitals in the State of Kansas, was established in 1950 by J. Alan Bradbury, D.V.M. A graduate of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University in 1944, Dr. Bradbury, “Brad,” entered the Army Veterinary Corp where he served in the European Theater during World War II.
After the war he returned to the Midwest and briefly practiced in Kansas City where he met and married the love of his life, Rosie. Desiring to establish his own small animal practice, where excellent quality veterinary care could be offered to small animals in a caring community, he and Rosie moved to Topeka and established GAH at 1133 Gage Boulevard in 1950.
Upon graduation from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University in 1977, Dr. Robert Shipman began working at GAH alongside Dr. Bradbury. In 1986, Dr. Shipman became Medical Director and owner of GAH.
In 1994, GAH relocated to 4000 SW 12th Street, one block west of Gage Boulevard in Topeka, Kansas, where it remains today. Designated a National Heritage Practice by the American Veterinary Historical Society, GAH continues the same tradition of excellence established by Dr. Bradbury seventy years ago, while embracing the future of veterinary medicine by continuously adopting the newest advances in veterinary medicine.